Although it cannot be confirmed, indications are that a log cabin was built on this site before Washington's army encamped at Valley Forge. The community worshipped there when bad weather made difficult the trek by foot or horseback to Brownback's Church, six miles away.
The first stone church was completed in 1816. Our church was first called St. Peter's Temple, later becoming St. Peter's German Reformed Church in tradition of the faith.
The cemetery was used before the church was built. An existing headstone notes a burial date of 1794, and it is believed that burials may have taken place before then.
The church was rebuilt in 1853 and again in 1925. From its inception, the Brownback minister traveled to St. Peter's to preach on alternate Sunday afternoons. In 1931, a full-time minister was appointed.
In 1934, a merger of churches resulted in the name change to St. Peter's Evangelical and Reformed Church. Another merger in 1957 brought the present name, St. Peter United Church of Christ.
After years of effort, ground was broken for a Fellowship Hall in 1996 and completed in 1997. Detterline Hall was named in honor of Rev. Milton E. Detterline, Jr., who served as pastor at St. Peter's from 1972 until his passing in 2010. We are currently blessed with our Designated Pastor Robyn Evans to walk with us on our spiritual journey.
Saint Peter's Church proudly supports Boy Scout Troop 140.